At the end of the nineteenth century, the growing community of Castine summer residents brought with them different religious traditions than earlier Castine residents. Those “rusticators” hailed from cities like Philadelphia and New York, where Episcopal churches were more common. In 1898 the Trinity Episcopal Church was built for and funded by Castine’s growing summer population.
Philadelphia artist Caroline Schenck designed the church in the Arts and Crafts style. Schenck summered in Castine and wanted to design a building that fit in with the natural landscape. The stone for the church was provided by summer resident and Chicago businessman William D. Porter.
Since most of its members were in Castine only in the summer, the church was unheated in the winter for many years. The Trinity Episcopal Church became a year-around institution in 1956 when an oil furnace was installed. Today the congregation serves the community by providing food, basic toiletries, and school and camp supplies to local children.
For more information, please visit the Trinity Episcopal Church website: https://trinitycastine.org/