Samuel P. Grindle, a ship carpenter, purchased a parcel of land on the Castine Town Common in 1849. The following summer he constructed a house in the Greek Revival Style. This house remained in private hands until it was acquired in 2008 by the Castine Historical Society. Today, the Grindle House is used for staff offices, a research library and reading room, and collections storage. Researchers may access the library year-round by appointment.
Working from nineteenth-century photographs and physical evidence, the exterior of the Grindle House was restored to its 1850’s appearance. Chimneys were rebuilt, six-over-six light window sash and shutters were installed, and the original front doorway surround was recreated. A bay window on the south façade dating from the late nineteenth century was preserved.
The interior of the restored Grindle House is not interpreted as a house museum. However, the lighting fixtures, decorative window, wall, floor coverings of the center stair hall, and the two parlors facing the Commons are decorated following the design precepts of Andrew Jackson Downing (1815-1852). Documented mid-nineteenth-century wallpapers, carpets, a painted floor cloth, and lighting have been recreated and installed.
For more information, please visit: