How many buildings have accommodated two separate colleges?
The building now known as Dismukes Hall was built in 1872 to house classrooms and offices for Maine’s second teacher’s college, the Eastern State Normal School. The college was established as part of a trend to improve and standardize education in Maine. The Normal School trained hundreds of teachers until World War II.
With war looming, Maine Maritime Academy was founded in 1941. The United States was in desperate need for those with military training, so the Academy launched an accelerated eighteen-month course for naval and merchant marine officers.
The two schools shared the future Dismukes Hall for a year. Maine Maritime Academy took full possession of the property when the Normal School closed in 1942.
Dismukes Hall is named for Rear Admiral Douglas E. Dismukes, the first superintendent of the Academy. Today the building includes a laboratory, classrooms, offices, and the Kennaday Planetarium, serving the Academy’s approximately 950 students.
For more information, please visit the Maine Maritime Academy website: https://mainemaritime.edu/